Are you having a difficult time getting people to listen to your music? Do you need advice on how to promote yourself efficiently and effectively? No problem, you’ve come to the right place. At Vivid Candi, we can help you with all of your music marketing needs.
The ability to market your music is an essential skill that every musician should learn. That said, many musicians don’t fully understand just how important marketing is to their music career. This guide will help explain the basics of music marketing, why you need to market your music, and how to market your music. Thus, if you are an up-and-coming musician trying to make it big, keep on reading.
What is Music Marketing?
First thing’s first, you need to understand the basics of what marketing music really entails. Music marketing, also known as music promotion, is the process of raising awareness about your music. A lot of people can make good music, but the ones who excel in the music industry are the ones who know how to properly market their music. If you don’t market your music, no one will know that your music or you even exist! It’s extremely important to know how to properly promote yourself and your music.
There are a number of ways in which you can market your music. It can be as simple as talking to people and letting them know you make songs. However, living in the digital world we all live in today, you can turn things up a notch. Bigger marketing efforts including performing gigs, getting on TV, and letting people on various social networking platforms know what you are all about. To learn more about this, keep on reading.
Why You Need To Market Your Music
You may be asking yourself: why do I need to market my music? Well, the most simple answer, is that if you don’t market your music, no one will know it exists in the first place! How many sales or fans do you think you will have if people don’t know you make music? Let us answer that for you: none! You can record thousands of songs and have the best album in the world, but if you don’t effectively communicate this message to people, it will be worth nothing. Music marketing truly can make or break your music career. Let’s break music marketing into 2 main categories: online and offline music marketing.
Online Music Marketing
Online music marketing is the most commonly used nowadays. Although using social media as main platforms for promotion is good, you also want to reach these places:
- Big websites
- Online radio shows
- TV networks
- Music forums
- Youtube Channels
- Facebook and Twitter pages
Why? Because these places can allow you to reach a much wider audience. You also have to make sure that these platforms are catered to your genre of music. If not, you won’t be targeting your desired audience.
Offline Music Marketing
Don’t make the mistake of only marketing your music online! A big part of your audience can be reached through other strategies such as:
- Performing at live music venues
- Street performing and selling promotion
- Flyers in music shops and anywhere else where you think your audience is
Important Factors for Music Marketing
In order for your music marketing to be effective, you need a few things:
- Strong brand: creating random music is not enough. You need to build your own brand. Who are you? What do you want to represent? What is your message? Why is your music worth listening to? You can easily create that branding through your social media platforms by being consistent. It is also important to have a catchy artist name which you can turn into a logo.
- Target audience: Next, you need to determine who your fans are. What type of people like your music in terms of demographics, psychographics, and more? And most importantly, how can you reach them?
- Engagement: Engage with your audience! Make them feel valued and build trust to have a loyal fan base. Don’t expect them to come to you. Find them and interact with them.
- Keep making good music: Don’t think that by launching one single you are going to be the next top pop music artist. You will need to continue producing music in order to build your brand and your credibility. Have a strong music portfolio. This will help you to get on radio stations and TV networks, and even increase your chances to sign with a big music label.
- Be professional and committed: If you want people to take you seriously, you will need to show some professionalism. No one wants to work or deal with unreliable people. Music marketing is your opportunity to show your commitment to your music career. Take yourself seriously. Believe in yourself, and people will too.
- Be active: Posting your music video on Youtube and sharing it on social media is not enough. Get up and go meet people! Try to perform at events, get on a show, sing on the street if need be! Maximize your exposure and connect with people.
- Be unique! The music industry is extremely competitive. You need to find a reason for people to listen to YOUR music. What makes you different? Tell a story, and promote it. Share something with your audience that they haven’t heard yet. Promote yourself as different and intriguing. Use music marketing in your advantage to define your music.
- Lastly, be patient. Music marketing is challenging because of the high competition in this industry. Don’t give up. If you put in the effort and are truly passionate about your music, you will achieve your goals.
Music Marketing at Vivid Candi
As a full-service digital marketing agency, Vivid Candi has experience in music marketing. We have worked with lots of artists in various genres grow their social platform and overall digital presence.
One of our most current artists, Only Jame, a new RnB artist, is using our music marketing services to promote his music. Because Only Jame is an up and coming artist, we began by first focusing on his social media strategies to grow his online presence and credibility. We’ve helped him establish and increase his brand awareness across a variety of different online platforms including his Youtube Channel, Instagram, and Facebook page. Simultaneously, Only Jame has been hosting live shows and continuously engaging with his audience. We’ve seen a tremendous amount of growth with his online following. As Jame grows, we are hoping to promote him on local radio stations and TV networks.
Another artist we have worked with in the music industry is Taylor Grey. When we started with Taylor, her Youtube videos had <50 views, and within a matter of a couple of months, we were able to get three videos to 1M+ views. With our research and experience, we were able to post and promote two videos that gained a lot of traffic. In addition to Taylor Grey’s YouTube Channel gaining a lot of traction, Vivid Candi also helped increase traffic to her website, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Learn more about Vivid Candi, a digital tech agency in Malibu, that offers full-service digital marketing services, custom web design and development, and more for a multitude of clients. Visit our website to learn more about how our agency can help you with all of your music marketing needs. Be sure to check out Vivid Candi’s Instagram to see how the agency operates via social networking/media.